It is best to be prepared with a list of questions you intend to ask your date during your first meeting – this will serve two purposes
- You can pop in a question every time there is an space of silence in your conversation and thus avoid awkward silent moments
- You can find out a lot about your date using these questions which in turn open up new avenues of conversation
First dates can almost be thought of as the first round of interview before the candidate is selected for the second date. Girls are generally more probing and curious during the first date while the guys tend to be a lot more reserved in their questions.
Good first date questions are the ones that help you understand your date better in terms of their mental and emotional make up. There are three levels of questions that you can ask depending on how your date is coming along, they are
Ice breaker questions – These are some good conversation starters questions to ask on a first date to get some rapport going.
Surface level questions – A little more probing than ice breaker questions but not too personal. These date questions should reveal certain interesting traits in your date.
Deep level questions – These type of first date questions will be personal and judge how comfortable your date is about sharing some intimate information with you.
The kind of “date questions” guys should ask tend to be a little different from the questions girls should be asking on the first date. Hence this article is split into two parts, the first part will cover the best questions to ask a guy on a date and second part will cover the right questions to ask a girl on a date.
Questions to ask a guy on a date
All the questions mentioned below are good for the first date, just make sure your timing is proper. Asking too many questions at once can put your date on the defensive or just make him panic. Most guys are not very comfortable answering questions if they feel they are being probed, so just pop the questions in very casually along the flow of the conversation.
Ice breaker questions
If you end up dating a guy who is quite contend maintaining silence, you will need to initiate some ice breaker questions if you want to get some talk flowing. Some good first date questions to ask to melt the ice are as below.
- Where were you born, where did you do your schooling or graduation?
- How do you relax or unwind during weekends and working days?
- What’s your favorite drink?
- What’s your favorite hang out place and who do you usually hang out with?
- How’s your work or college life coming along?
- What kinda sports are you interested in?
Avoid asking questions like what’s your favorite movie, color, music and stuff like that, because it sounds too interview like. These details are not important on your first date.
Surface level questions
Depending on how you are getting along you might feel the need to ask some probing questions either out of curiosity or genuine interest. Some good questions to ask here are
- Do you feel comfortable in a crowd or do you prefer your personal space (in other words, are you an extrovert or an introvert?)
- Do you work out? (avoid this question if your date is a little on plump side)
- Tell me about your present friend circle
- Are you involved in any specific hobby or venture beyond your work
- Are you religious? (be prepared to be surprised)
Any question that is on the personal level but not too much on the emotional plane would qualify as a surface level question.
Deep level questions
If you are really getting along well and you find yourself getting curious to know him better, then you might want to pop in a few deep level questions that touch the emotional front. Some good questions to ask are
- How has life been treating you this far?
- What is that one thing you would like to change about your life right now?
- Who’s the person you are closest to presently?
- What are the things that you hate about yourself?
- How’s your relationship with your father and mother? ( this can get a little too emotional in some cases)
You will get better answers to your deep level questions if there is a good rapport going on between the two of you or else the answers will be guarded.
We will now move on to part 2 of this article – Questions to ask a girl on first date